Stem Cell Harvesting
The Scottsdale Stem Cell Treatment Center harvests stem cells for residents of Scottsdale, Phoenix and the surrounding Arizona communities.
Adult stem cells are present in any living being, from birth. We find stem cells in a number of sources, including our own blood and bone marrow. There are two methods for collecting enough stem cells for a transplant. Both methods apply equally to autologous or allogeneic donations.
- Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Collection. Stem cells can be collected from the blood. This procedure is called a peripheral blood stem cell collection. This technique does not require surgery. It does, however, involve a few more steps than a conventional bone marrow harvest. Prior to the collection, the donor is given a medication to promote the growth and release of stem cells from the bone into the blood. The stem cells are then collected using a special machine called a Cell Separator. This technique has dramatically increased in popularity over the last ten years.
- Bone Marrow Harvest. Stem cells can be collected directly from the bone marrow spaces, most often from the pelvic bones. Several puncture sites are made along the bone, and the cells are removed using a needle. This procedure is known as a bone marrow harvest.
Peripheral Blood harvests have several advantages. The biggest and most important advantage is that the patient recovers faster, and with fewer major complications, when they receive a peripheral blood stem cell transplant, than if they receive a bone marrow transplant. Other advantages include:
- No general anesthetic is required for the donor
- The procedure can be repeated if enough are not collected the first time
- Little to no pain to the donor
- Lower risk of collecting cancerous cells
The Scottsdale Stem Cell Treatment Center provides cutting-edge care for patients in Scottsdale, Phoenix and the surrounding Arizona communities with a wide variety of degenerative disorders using adult stem cell regenerative therapy.
We are focused on providing you with the most innovative techniques and advanced procedures for harvesting and deploying adult stem cells from your own fat.